Thursday, October 11, 2007

Mother-in-laws

My mother-in-law was just in town, and she decided to tell me that we pick Anise up too much, respond too quickly to her "caprices", and she did not fail to tell me that she is extremely worried about the fact that Anise doesn't have "independence" because she doesn't sleep in her own bed.

We all have a disapproving mother-in-law, or mother, or sister or aunt. But the worst mother-in-law is the disapproving mother-in-law within ourselves. I was thinking about how those comments upset me, or rather why it upsets me. I am confident (most of the time), I never doubt my decision to hold my baby when she cries. I don't share many philosophies or values with my mother-in-law, so why do I give credence to her judgment of me? Does she prey on my drop of doubt? The problem is not her comments, but within me. I guess if I were 100% confident I wouldn't care.

I just came back from a wonderful afternoon with my playgroup. Our playgroup is made up of intelligent, educated, interesting women, all with their first babies, all under one year. We have good conversation, and some wine. But there is also doubt, and insecurity. Some of us are worried our breastfed babies are too fat (advice given was to feed less), others too small (should not be exclusively breastfeeding), others are worried they hold their babies too much (should let her cry on her own) and others (like me!) should not be nursing baby to sleep every time.

Why is a group of five educated, capable, loving, nurturing women so insecure? Where have we (society) gone wrong? We are capable, mature women, who are financially stable, and in stable relationships. We are confident in our careers, our art, and in our minds, but we doubt our abilities as mothers. Maybe we were pushed too hard to excel, and motherhood is not something that can be measured. Maybe we are working too hard, striving for perfection. Maybe we need control, or an illusion of control. We should stop using phrases like "I hold her too much" and start saying things like "she wants to be held". Instead of saying "I nurse Anise to sleep " I should say " Anise likes to fall asleep while being nursed". And because I listen to my daughter, and because I have made the decision to devote myself to her fully, and because of where she is in her development, I have decided I am going to give her what she needs so that she can fall asleep, and be happy and secure. I feel like somewhere our role as nurturers was not nurtured. We were not taught how to believe in our abilities. Perhaps we read too much, learn too much, and listen to much. Instead of reading, learning and listening to both our babies and our inner wisdom. Ultimately we know deep in our hearts we are doing things right, yet we can't seem to quell our dependence on hearing it come from somewhere else.

6 comments:

  1. Ha. Eavesdropping on mothers for the last million years. Everything you've ever before been good at wasn't as hard as this. All those things had signposts, and grades, and judgments and benchmarks and you met them all, thereby reinforcing your ego supremacy. The mastery of motherhood requires you to dismantle your ego, your judging and self-critical nature. You cannot be "good" at this. You can only be. And that is the good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I agree and I think it comes as a surprise to many. It just is what it is, it is going through days and watching beauty unfold. There is no challenge to be "overcome", but there is challenge. I just wish we were more prepared? Or supported?
    I just realized I forgot to give Anise breakfast! Oops!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Karen here. I think the doubt comes in because the stakes are high. It is a real human life and of course we want to do it "right".
    Also, just because something works now doesn't mean it always will or works for all moms or all babies. In this way, it helps to remember the impermanence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. just know that i support you. you know anise better than anyone because you are her mother. trust yourself.
    satch has always slept with me, and has never "cried it out". he goes to bed happily at night. i've always relied on satchel's cues to help me mother him the way HE needs and not according to cookie-cutter parenting instructions. he's a noticeably peaceful child.

    to your mother-in-law i would have to say, that i don't believe a milestone is a real milestone unless it's achieved willingly. i believe this is true of independence.

    i'm not sure if this is making sense because i have a terrible headache tonight.

    just know that i support you because i have no doubt that you and anise share a very strong connection.

    you are a wonderful mother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are two ways to process that nagging "disapproving mother-in-law," whether it's in your head, or in the room with you:

    1) Realize that everything she says is really a reflection of her own shortcomings, not yours. Perhaps she wished she picked up her own child more, or had brought her own child into her bed to sleep.

    2) She, without knowing it, is plucking the strings of your insecurities in order to force you to take a closer look at who you are or why you're doing something a certain way? Not as a criticism, but to make you stronger in your beliefs and in yourself.

    I saw your comment over on Shannon's blog, and thought I'd drop in and say hi! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all for your comments.

    Bella - I agree with you too! What is "right" is always changing.

    Wendy - Thank you for your support. It means a lot to me. I really admire you, and from the looks of it, it seems we've been through similar stuff. I admire your beautiful son, and your beautiful pictures!

    Christian - You are very wise. I have never looked at an insecurity in a positive way before, but you are right, it should be used to reaffirm our beliefs! Nice to see you here.

    ReplyDelete