Saturday, January 19, 2008

New Nap Part II

I am not going to go into the mundane details of the naps. Even though that is what has been consuming me this past week. Did she nap, where, when, and for how long. A whole life can be focused around naps. Since the first day (Tuesday) when she cried for 45 min and then fell asleep, she hadn't fallen asleep again in her crib until today. Both times were after parties and she was exhausted. The problem is that Anise doesn't know how to just fall asleep. Some other times she cried and eventually stopped, but decided to play instead - which is fine - except that she needs to sleep. She has been really pale, and beyond exhausted, but her stubbornness seems to be taking precedence over sleepiness. Her spirits have been good though! And she has been entertaining us the past few days.

Which brings me to this: principles.

I thought I had them. I have learned to let go of them. With principles comes judgment, and prejudice.

For example, before having a child of my own I had decided that we would not own any plastic toys. All of Anise's favourite toys are plastic. And they make a lot of noise. And they play dumb music. But she LOVES the things, and when I say love, I mean can play by herself at a plastic, garish, obnoxious table that sort of looks like a cartoon of a piano, which is over-stimulating, has blaring lights, and a smiley sun that makes you want to vomit, for HOURS. So it is now embraced into my household, and is officially on my list of things I am glad we bought.

3 comments:

  1. This made me laugh and smile.
    I remember this too, when I realized that these "ideals" I had where not about my child but about me. So then it was easy to just let my son be who he was, plastic toys and all. Sometimes getting out of the way of ourselves is much more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think she'll be a rock star because of this piano, then I'll regret it (or not)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indestructible plastic or manmade biodegradable, principles simply do not stand, do they? But no matter what they are made of, pianos stand.

    ReplyDelete