Sunday, March 23, 2008

No Naps (Again)

I know, I know I have written extensively on the sleep problems we have been having. I stopped writing about that for a while, partially because things got better, and partially because it is really boring to read! But while nights are good (knock wood) and I am extremely grateful, naps are not going so well. We had reverted back to stroller naps, because I was desperate for Anise to get enough sleep. But I don't find that to be a good solution, partially because with the winter we are having it is just too difficult, I need the break in the day to get stuff done, and I think it is time for Anise to have positive sleep associations with her own bed. I was given advice from someone I trust, who helped me get to the point of no more nonsense, Anise must now nap in her bed. Her technique was a "cry-it-out" but going in every 20 minutes. She promised 3 days. But since I had already been having unsuccessful cry-it-out sessions with Anise, going in every 20 minutes really didn't work. My limit for letting her cry for a nap is 1 hour and a half, and maybe that is my problem. She doesn't end up falling asleep by the end of that! She can just keep going. The more she cries in her crib, the more she will hate going in there. After the first couple of days we had made tins of progress, Anise went down for a nap with no tears, although she only stayed asleep for 40 min (which for a 16  month old who woke up at 5am, is not enough). I figured eventually length would come. I was wrong. The past couple of days there was a lot of crying and no sleeping. At this point I am totally freaking out, because she is not getting enough sleep, and I am worried that will impede her cognitive development. But now every time I out her in her stroller, I am reinforcing  the problem. She would take 2 naps and one would be almost 2 hours if I kept rolling, compared with one 40 minute nap at home...I am really stressing out and honestly do not know what to do. I have literally tried everything.

7 comments:

  1. Take cognitive development out of the crib. It's too crowded in there. Give sleep time and give it space, that's all I can say. And give it like clockwork. We are always measuring our children against some past benchmark and finding the present comes up short. But everybody goes through sleep jags: adults, children, animals. It's spring whether it seems like it or not. It was a full moon week. Energy and vibration ebbs and flows, slows and quickens. You be faithful and steadfast, and let what comes, come. Mutual surrender is called peace at last.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen is wise; if nothing else, she lets me blame the moon and that feels better then blaming the poor kid or mom.

    Here's a lot of sympathy and some probably useless suggestions:

    When my kids won't sleep, I first get annoyed, but then I try to be rational and ask myself if there might be something else going on, they can't communicate except by crying - what if they have a toothache or a headache or a tummy ache. Maybe the gentle bumps of a stroller ride are just enough to distract her mind away from some pain or physical annoyance that it allows her to slip into a deeper sleep. Does a car ride work? You could drive her to sleep, then maybe pullover and do some work?

    Do you put her down with a full tummy? It makes my tummy hurt, to sleep on it full - even though 'they' tell us it'll help them to sleep longer.

    Also, and most of all, kids seem to sense when we have "other things" to do and, as if they sense your distraction and urgency to leave, they want you even more. 20 minutes is a long while to cry alone, I went with 10, mostly because I couldn't take it. Don't pick them up, just keep laying them down, calming them down, leaving when they are calm, to cry as soon as you leave for another 10. Eventually it worked, eventually it all gets fixed, until the next time.

    Try to go with her flow, try not to worry or get stressed, just let things be okay, however not okay they seem.

    Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen makes a good point. Just when I think we have figured "it" out, he changes, life changes, and it no longer works. :)
    That being said, I have found the more consistency I can offer, the easier my guy sleeps and the easier the transitions. While I want to be flexible, having very set nap times, bed times, seems to help in the LONG run. He doesn't always sleep, but he has a better shot at sleeping when his internal body clock is used to certain times being when we rest.
    Hang in there.
    I hope sleep comes soon, for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also still tackling the nap and crib challenge. What I have discovered is that things go better when I do NOT check on her. Going in every so many minutes only gets her hopes up and dashes them, and this re-sets any previous winding down and she gets even more upset. My maximum time limit is one hour. If she hasn't slept, then I retrieve her and do whatever needs doing next (feed her, go out on an errand). Running a quick errand gets her out but keeps her from falling asleep in the stroller, and provides enough stimulation so that by the next nap time (about an hour, nor more than two) after the failed nap attempt she's GOT to be tired. Then she usually will take a solid nap.

    But this is all changeable. One thing I'm learning is that the sound of her cries won't kill me and they really aren't hurting her. She knows that I love her, she's safe and cared for, and I'm doing this to help her.

    My heart is with you. Sending strength...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, so many wise women but in the end you really must listen to your child with your heart and not by what any book, doctor, or expert might suggest. I have found this to be the best reminder for myself and my child...how does what you are doing make you feel? Follow your instincts and the rest will follow. Be patient with yourself and your little one, she is just coming to understand her world and to Trust it as well.
    Your child is following her instincts as this is all she may know right now. Bless her for this!
    My instinct was to always be there for my child. To give him that security, that sense of trust in me and his world. It meant understanding that we all have hard days/years, that teeth hurt when they are poking through soft gums and that he might want the comfort of my being there, that he will grow fast and soon no longer want his mama at his side...And something I learned that I wish I had known earlier is that things are constantly changing, of course! Little bodies change quick...so do big ones! Give it 2 weeks and something else will change. Just when you have it figured out, HA! something else will change again!
    Try to trust both yourself and your heart and your childs inherent wisdom. Smile. Go for a walk. Enjoy the sunshine. Take a book, an instrument, a chocolate, and remember you are doing the most important job in the world and you are good at it.
    Now go give that baby a hug!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mika -

    I don't seem to have many words of wisdom to add to this already great mix. All I'll say is that I've thought of you often these past two nights. Around midnight, Pearl wakes up crying and shrieking, Aviva pads into our bed and snuggles in close to Greg, I lie there for a while until I can't stand it any longer, then go get Pearl, who sleeps like a rock on top of me in Aviva's bed until first light. It's musical beds. It does change and ebb and flow. Just when I think things are going great, we hit a jag like this, and just when I think I can't survive another night like these, Pearl settles in and sleeps through the night again. Or not. In any case, I'm with you.

    xo Jena

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for your support. Today I saw a homeopath and I am hoping that will help!

    xo

    ReplyDelete