Monday, February 4, 2008

TV

I am a bad mother. I introduced Sesame Street to Anise and I have created a monster. It helped ease the transition with babysitter, they have their TV routine. But now it is time to wean. Have I done damage? Or is it repairable? Where are my principles? I think fatigue has taken over, and tossed out my morals.

I have started sleeping again, and fatigue has taken hold. So strong. Gone is the adrenaline that kept me going. All that is left is a hollow, irritable, tired shell. (Oh, and fat too).

I probably shouldn't post this, but this is why I am writing a blog! To post my inner musings.

But the guilt comes and goes. Sometimes it grips me and is so strong I have to write about it. Other times I can let it go. What is better: wholewheat pasta, or organic pasta? I couldn't find both. So tortured was I that I bought both and mixed them together. Then I felt better.

5 comments:

  1. Weaning after a week of TV? Not so fast! Babies do a lot of things with babysitters that they don't do with Mommy. In my case, it was going to the mall and McDonald's. Of course I didn't like it. All things in moderation. Including guilt, which may be our deepest addiction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Karen said.

    Television isn't a Bad Thing if used in moderation. In fact, if you have Karen's book, there's a beautiful chapter on the whole question of television and parenting.

    Be kinder to yourself, please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know everything is ok in moderation, but 3 hours 3 days in a row seems like a lot. I asked the babysitter today to try less tv. She said she has been trying, but Anise demands it! At least she is trying...I guess you guys are right. Whatever works for now works.

    I will try to be nicer to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be very practical here: pick and choose your battles.
    Tv may be one worth fighting for you, but you cannot win, let alone, fight them all.
    Leo watches Tv. And I'll be honest, there are days, such as when I'm sick or he's sick, that I adore that box. :)
    There is no perfect Mika.
    So you don't need to give your life over to seeking what is not there.
    just do what you can. it is enough.
    and i love you for showing up here and choosing to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What they said.

    TV is part of our girls' lives. When I feel the need to justify this, I do so by remembering that we don't get any channels - it's all Netflix and library rental that placate, pacify, buy time, grease the skids.

    What they said.

    Go easy, Mika. On yourself most of all. Anise will be fine.

    With love,

    xo Jena

    ReplyDelete